Senior 2 Data Engineer
Life360 is a Remote First company, which means a remote work environment will be the primary experience for all employees. All positions, unless otherwise specified, can be performed remotely (within Canada) regardless of any specified location above.
At Life360, we’re on a mission to simplify safety so families can live fully. Everyday more than 50 million members across 195 countries trust us to protect and connect their loved ones at home, on the road, and on the go.
From real-time location updates to keep everyone coordinated, to Crash Detection and 24/7 Roadside Assistance, Life360 is designed to free families from everyday worries. Our range of Driving Safety, Digital Safety, Location Safety, and Personal Safety features are there to keep our members safe every step of the way.
Life360 has more than 500 (and growing!) remote-first employees.
In 2021, Life360 acquired Tile, the pioneer in finding technology, and Jiobit, one of the top real-time location monitoring platforms for families. These expanded offerings mark an important step forward towards achieving our vision of being the world's leading platform for people, pets and things.
We value having a diverse and inclusive community from many backgrounds, so even if you don’t meet 100% of the below qualifications, you should still seriously consider applying!
About the Job
At Life360, we collect a lot of data: 60 billion unique location points, 12 billion user actions, 8 billion miles driven every single month, and so much more. As a Senior Data Engineer, you will contribute to enhancing and maintaining our data processing and storage pipelines/workflows for external and internal data consumers. You should have a strong engineering background and even more importantly a desire to take ownership of our data systems to make them world class.
What You’ll Do
- Design, implement, and manage scalable data processing platforms used for real-time analytics and exploratory data analysis.
- Manage our data from ingestion through ETL to storage and batch processing.
- Automate, test and harden all data workflows.
- Architect logical and physical data models to ensure the needs of the business are met.
- Collaborate with product analytics and data scientists while applying best practices
- Architect and develop systems and algorithms for distributed real-time analytics and data processing
- Implement strategies for acquiring data to develop new insights
What We’re Looking For
- Minimum 5+ years of experience working with high volume data infrastructure.
- Experience with AWS and/or Databricks, ETL and Job orchestration tooling.
- Extensive experience programming in either Python or Java.
- Experience in data modeling, optimizing SQL queries, and system performance tuning.
- Knowledge and proficiency in the latest open source and data frameworks, modern data platform tech stacks and tools.
- You are proficient with SQL, AWS, Databases, Apache Spark, Spark Streaming, EMR, and Kinesis/Kafka.
- You delight in crushing messy unstructured data and making the world sane by producing quality data that is clean and usable.
- Someone who is always learning and staying up to speed with the fast moving data world.
- You have good communication skills and can work independently.
- BS in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Mathematics, or equivalent experience
- Competitive pay and benefits
- Medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance plans
- RRSP plan with DPSP company matching program
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for mental well being
- Flexible PTO, several company wide days off throughout the year & paid Holiday Shutdown
- Learning & Development programs
- Equipment, tools, and reimbursement support for a productive remote environment
- Free Life360 Platinum Membership for your preferred circle
- Free Tile Products
Our company’s mission driven culture is guided by our shared values to create a trusted work environment where you can bring your authentic self to work and make a positive difference
- Be a Good Person - We have a team of high integrity people you can trust.
- Be Direct With Respect - We communicate directly, even when it’s hard.
- Members Over Metrics - We focus on building an exceptional experience for families.
- High Intensity High Impact - We do whatever it takes to get the job done.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We believe that different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds create a stronger and more creative work environment that delivers better results. Together, we continue to build an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the diverse voices of our employees. It fuels our innovation and connects us closer to our customers and the communities we serve. We strive to create a workplace that reflects the communities we serve and where everyone feels empowered to bring their authentic best selves to work.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Life360. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any legally protected status.
We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We believe that a diversity of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful.
Since the majority of our staff is located on the US West Coast, our primary working hours will be 9-4pm PST
Something looks off?