Life360 is a Remote First company, which means a remote work environment will be the primary experience for all employees. All positions, unless otherwise specified, can be performed remotely (within the US) regardless of any specified location above.
Life360 operates a platform for today’s busy families, bringing them closer together by helping them better know, communicate with and protect the people they care about most. The Company’s core offering, the Life360 mobile app, is a market leading app for families, with features that range from communications to driving safety and location sharing. Life360 is based in San Francisco and had more than 50 million monthly active users (MAU) as of December 2022, located in more than 150 countries. Life360 was founded in 2008, went public on the Australian Stock Exchange in 2019, and currently has revenues of $228 million, with core Life360 subscription revenues growing 54% year-to-year. The company is publicly listed on the Australian Stock Exchange (“ASX”) and is an SEC registrant, with plans to dual list US exchange in the near future. Life360 is at an exciting point in its trajectory - reaching positive cashflow in 2023, while maintaining its status as a unique technology growth company.
About the Job
As our General Counsel, you will be an integral part of Life360’s senior management. Reporting to our Chief Financial Officer (CFO), you will be the trusted partner and advisor to many internal and external stakeholders. You will be responsible for the strategic oversight and execution of the legal function which provides a framework for global scale and velocity to key areas of the business. As such, the function should be able to adapt to various growing requirements and be forward-looking to get ahead of foreseeable risks as the legal landscape continues to evolve.
As a manager of a growing legal team, you are as passionate about people leadership as you are about your craft. The successful candidate will also prioritize building and maintaining strong relationships with both internal and external stakeholders, while demonstrating excellence in communication.
The salary range for this position is $300,000 - $350,000. We take into consideration an individual's background and experience in determining final salary- therefore, base pay offered may vary considerably depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The compensation package includes a wide range of medical, dental, vision, financial, and other benefits, as well as equity.
What You’ll Do
- Managing established and talented professionals on the legal team.
- Responsible for strategically overseeing all legal functions of the company including but not limited to: contracts and contracting processes, litigation and regulatory matters, compliance, vendor negotiations, M&A and related matters, intellectual property maintenance and enforcement, corporate and securities law-related matters as well as company policies related to the same.
- Serve in the capacity of Corporate Secretary and be responsible for drafting resolutions, board minutes and providing corporate governance advice and support. This key leadership role serves as trusted advisor to the executive team and Board of Directors.
- Oversee the company’s compliance with applicable regulations including but not limited to data privacy, consumer protection and security by simultaneously balancing appropriate controls and compliance activities against operational needs.
- Oversee the company’s compliance with securities laws and regulations under both the Australian and US regimes and work with Australian and US attorneys, corporate advisors and the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX). Be prepared to oversee the legal process for a US IPO.
- Provide legal expertise in areas such as software and hardware development, vendor agreements, intellectual property, partnerships and referrals, marketing, and NDAs
- Maintain knowledge of organization’s operations and legal documents
- Remain abreast of legal, compliance and regulatory developments generally and ensure Life360 remains ahead of the curve on addressing stakeholder needs in these areas.
- Assist with HR and other employment matters as they arise as well as advise on existing and new regulatory requirements in the employment context.
- Proactively and strategically manage outside counsel and legal expenses.
- Collaborate closely with business stakeholders to help minimize risk while enabling the company to achieve its strategic objectives.
- Keeps management and the Board of Directors apprised of material developments and matters on a timely basis, exercising sound business and legal judgment.
- Supports and contributes to senior management on all legal aspects of major or sensitive transactions and emerging legal issues.
What We’re Looking For
- 15+ years of legal experience, with meaningful litigation experience at a top tier law firm as well as experience with privacy matters and leading an in-house legal function.
- J.D. from an accredited law school and US state bar admission in good standing.
- Subject matter expertise across several of the following areas: corporate governance and securities, litigation, regulatory, and privacy and information security
- Strategic/operational GC who enjoys rolling up their sleeves while being a strong and collaborative business partner to the CEO, CFO, internal staff, and externally facing customers, partners/board of investors. The ability to devise practical solutions to issues rather than running through a check-list.
- Exceptional business judgment, people management and analytical skills, and critical, strategic thinking with demonstrated success working as a team player in a fast-paced environment
- Strong emotional intelligence (EQ) with the ability to communicate effectively at all levels of the organization and customer base
- An engaged business executive and not just a functional leader.
- Public company experience
- In depth experience with data privacy and consumer protection matters in a similar organization, with a track record of practical solutions to complex issues.
- 5+ years of experience in hands-on commercial litigation at a top tier law firm.
- Commercial experience in both small and large environments - startup experience is a plus.
- Experience directly working with regulators and legislators on public policy, legal affairs and compliance-related matters.
Why this is a Great Opportunity
- Life360 is truly mission driven and is a crucial part of the daily fabric of family life to millions of families;
- Life360 is a market leader with 48 million+ monthly active users, 1.5 million paying subscribers, and very active engagement. One in ten American families uses Life360!
- This is a great chance to be a GC of a public company (currently listed on the Australian stock exchange) with the strong upside-potential of helping to lead a US IPO in the next 12-18 months;
- Life360 is enjoying very strong growth; has made strong acquisitions; is expanding internationally and is about to reach a milestone of consistently positive operating cashflow and adjusted EBITDA;
- The multiple areas of growth generate interesting legal challenges, requiring the GC to be strategic-minded and resourceful
- The company has a very talented team and this person will work with smart and passionate colleagues.
- Competitive pay and benefits
- Medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance plans (100% paid for employees)
- 401(k) plan with company matching program
- Mental Wellness Program & Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for mental well being
- Flexible PTO, 13 company wide days off throughout the year & paid Holiday Shutdown
- Learning & Development programs
- Equipment, tools, and reimbursement support for a productive remote environment
- Free Life360 Platinum Membership for your preferred circle
- Free Tile Products
Our company’s mission driven culture is guided by our shared values to create a trusted work environment where you can bring your authentic self to work and make a positive difference.
- Be a Good Person - We have a team of high integrity people you can trust.
- Be Direct With Respect - We communicate directly, even when it’s hard.
- Members Over Metrics - We focus on building an exceptional experience for families.
- High Intensity High Impact - We do whatever it takes to get the job done.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We believe that different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds create a stronger and more creative work environment that delivers better results. Together, we continue to build an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the diverse voices of our employees. It fuels our innovation and connects us closer to our customers and the communities we serve. We strive to create a workplace that reflects the communities we serve and where everyone feels empowered to bring their authentic best selves to work.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Life360. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any legally protected status.
We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We believe that a diversity of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful.
Since the majority of our staff is located on the US West Coast, our primary working hours will be 9-4pm PST