Product Engineering Manager, Distribution
Software Engineering, Other Engineering, Product, Operations
Remote · United States
Posted on Tuesday, February 6, 2024
Everyone has a story to tell. Medium is the place for stories to take shape and take flight. We believe that what you read and write matters, and we’re building a place that rewards depth, nuance, and time well spent over clicks and sensationalism. Over 100 million people connect and share their wisdom on Medium every month — and we’re growing! Our mission is to deepen our collective understanding of the world through the power of writing.
We (like our users) measure the value of Medium not by the number of clicks and views but by the quality of stories being discovered and read every day. Medium is not a pacifier where we hope people kill a couple of free minutes but where they come to deepen their understanding of the topics they care about. We have chosen to explicitly fight back against the attention economy by marrying the best of expert human curators and machine learning to match the very best content with each individual user. Our Quality Distribution team is focused on these experiences and we are seeking an experienced Product Engineering Manager who will manage the full-stack engineering team building this product.
What you will do:
- Lead and manage a full-stack Quality Distribution engineering team responsible for building the main surfaces of the Medium product including the story page, the digest emails, and the home page and topic feed recommendations
- Collaborate with product, content, and design teams to define product strategy and roadmap
- Develop and mentor engineering talent, providing guidance and support for their professional growth
- Clear obstacles for your team so they can maintain a high development speed
- Foster a culture of innovation, collaboration, and continuous improvement within the engineering team
- Ensure the quality and scalability of the product by implementing best practices and driving technical excellence
- Stay up to date with industry trends and emerging technologies to drive innovation and improve product offerings
- Report directly to the SVP of Product and Engineering and work closely with them on technical, team structure, process, and recruiting strategies
Who are you?
- At least 2 years experience managing product engineering teams, preferably on a platform dealing with delivery and targeting of user-generated content.
- At least 5 years experience as an engineer writing production code for consumer products.
- Passionate about the strategy, details, and intricacies of the products you work on.
- Great communication and leadership skills.
- Driven to have effective, lightweight team processes, documentation, and project management strategies.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, with a data-driven approach to decision-making. A big bonus would be if you have experience with SQL and able to write your own queries to pull the data you need.
In addition to the new skills you'll pick up, here's what else you'll enjoy by working at Medium:
- Working with a fully distributed team: We’re totally remote and have teammates across the U.S.
- Generous benefits that support your wellness and professional development
- 100% covered Medical benefits for employees
- Parental Leave & additional Family Support (Cleo)
- Covered sessions for Therapy and Professional Coaching (Spring Health)
- Stipends for Wellness, Learning and your home office/wifi
- Unlimited PTO, Winter Company Breaks, and standard company holidays
This is a fully remote position and you can be based anywhere within the U.S. EST working hours are preferred as this role will have direct reports in the US and France.
****The compensation range for this position is between $220k-$320k per year base salary + equity and benefits, and is dependent on years and depth of experience.
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun and challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media.
Medium is an equal opportunity employer.
Please note that any serious recruiting emails will come from an @medium.com domain; anything else is not legitimate.